The ScratchMeNot Flip Mitten Sleeves are a unique way of protecting little ones’ nails and fingers from damaging their own skin, hair and nails. An alternative to traditional mittens, they are worn like a shawl over the child’s normal clothing. The ends can flip open or closed. When closed, the exterior of the mitten is silk. When open, the exterior of the mitten is cotton. The shawl part of the sleeve is a blend of organic bamboo viscose, organic cotton and lycra. They are available for babies and children ranging from 3 months to 6 years old.
These sleeves are useful for babies and children who scratch themselves, especially those with eczema or atopic dermatitis, or other skin issues. They are also useful for children who pull out hair or have a habit of nail biting. The ScratchMeNot Flip Mitten Sleeves were designed by eczema mom Andrea Thomas and it shows.
I really like these sleeves and here’s why:
– The external silk mittens are gentle on skin. I have yet to find baby and kid mittens that are made of silk. The traditional mittens and flip sleeves attached to onesies are cotton. Silk is much smoother and decreases the amount of damage rubbing can do to the skin. Even rubbing with cotton can lead to thickening (what we call “lichenification” in dermatology) which can worsen the skin condition and itch.
– These sleeves stay on. The mitten portion is attached to the shawl portion. Babies and kids are really good at getting traditional mittens off. These stay on.
– They are easy to flip open and closed. This is important because you aren’t going to just flip them closed and leave your child that way all day. There are often predictable times when your child will scratch skin, pull hair or bite nails — e.g. when she/he is tired or fussy, during diaper changes, at night when her/his inhibition is decreased, etc. In anticipation of these times, you can close the mittens. The rest of the time, you can keep the mittens open. This may also decrease your anxiety over whether you child won’t have enough open mitten time to learn how to use her/his fingers and hands.
– They are easy to get on and off. The shawl part is a mix of bamboo viscose, cotton and lycra. It has just enough stretch so that you can put it on easily, but not so loose that your child can work her/his way out of it.
– They are relatively affordable. There are so many products that target parents of eczema babies and kids. Some of them are very costly. These are relatively affordable and there are often deals through the ScratchMeNot website or The Eczema Company.
As a dermatologist and eczema mom myself, I give these ScratchMeNot Flip Mitten Sleeves 5 stars.
DermBytes readers get 10% off at the ScratchMeNot website with the code: Dermbytes.
Today, we have the opportunity to learn more about the story behind the ScratchMeNot products. Founder Andrea Thomas shares her story dealing with her children’s eczema and how that inspired her to develop the ScratchMeNot Flip Mitten Sleeve.
Can you share your story as an eczema mom?
“Her skin is at least 75% healed and we not used a single oral medication or prescription cream on her since we started using the ScratchMeNots. No one can believe the difference, and asks if we finally found a medication that works. Haha! I tell everyone about your company and show everyone her pretty sleeves and tell them we don’t use meds on her anymore. I’m so glad she is happy to wear them and doesn’t have to wear socks on her hands all the time anymore that would stick and hurt her. Plus, she could still scratch with those.”