The dry air is setting in and your skin is drying out! Here are some top tips for keeping your skin hydrated.
1. Use a humidifier. Re-create a more moist environment by infusing some water into the air. Make sure to choose a humidifier that can capably humidify the size of your room. For safety, choose a cool mist humidifier for your child’s room.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Increase your frequency of moisturization. Moisturizers increase the water content in your skin and can prevent the water content from evaporating off your skin. Find one that is fragrance-free and hypoallergenic. Hydrolatum, which is often behind the pharmacists’ counter, is one simple cost-effective moisturizing cream.
3. Keep sample sized/travel sized moisturizers at your desk, by your sink, and in your purse. If you have it around, you’re more likely to use it.
4. Avoid harsh soaps. Sure, that Irish Spring has a scent that will wake you up, but it will also strip your skin of its oils. Find a gentler soap such as one that is infused with emollients.
5. Use lukewarm water and not hot water. Although that hot water feels great when you are itchy or have a rash such as eczema, your skin is left in even worse shape than before! Turn down the dial on the heat and also limit the amount of time you spend washing. And remember to moisturize (#3) after your shower.