Take a look at your local supermarket/pharmacy’s skin care section and you can easily get overwhelmed by the different moisturizer options. There are many different brands, and formulations. Creams, lotions, and ointments, oh my!
So what are some guidelines to follow when choosing a moisturizer for eczema?
Your moisturizer should be hypoallergenic. The last thing you want is for your moisturizer to give you an allergic reaction on your skin.
- Your moisturizer should be fragrance-free. Fragrances are a leading cause of skin contact allergies.
- Look for creams or ointments. Your moisturizer should not be thin and watery. It should be thick. Why? because then it can seal and lock in your skin’s moisture. If your moisturizer is thin and watery, the water will evaporate off, leaving little protectant on your skin. Ointments are great, but some people don’t like the oily feel.
Here are some of my favorite moisturizers (and no! I have no conflicts of interest and am not paid by these companies!):
- Vanicream moisturizing cream – This one is hypoallergenic and fragrance free and comes in a big tub.
- Cerave moisturizing cream – This cream includes ingredients such as ceramides and hyaluronic acid which help protect the skin and seal in moisture.
- Aveeno eczema therapy – The moisturizing cream contains colloidal oatmeal. It is not as thick as the above creams, but many patients have found this to be a very pleasant cream
- Vaniply ointment – I like how this one comes in a travel size which I can stick in my purse to moisturize my hands or lips on the go.
- Aveeno healing ointment or Aquaphor healing ointment – I’ve also found this very handy for the hands or lips on the go.
- Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream – This is slightly less greasy than other ointment but thicker than a cream. It also comes in a size that is easy to throw in my purse or keep at the desk. I frequently use this after washing my hands or when I don’t have a separate chap stick around.
- Plain old Vaseline petroleum jelly – Inexpensive and a great sealant! The skin will feel a little greasy afterwards, but it’s supposed to!
What are some of your favorite moisturizers?
Want to learn about the proper way to apply moisturizer? The answer is HERE.